Skip to main content

Film Review: mother!

Darren Aronofsky is one of my favourite filmmakers, an artist working in the mainstream but always testing its boundaries. His movies don’t always succeed with me, but even when they fail they are interesting. His latest, mother!, is probably my favourite movie of 2017 because it is simultaneously familiar and bizarre, a surrealist and highly symbological critique of humanity, complex, coded and dark as pitch.

The movie most definitely does not take place in reality as we know it, operating instead by an intense dream-logic which starts out somewhat stifling and becomes more and more oppressive as the situation deteriorates. The point of view is entirely Jennifer Lawrence’s as the camera is with her at every moment, on her face or looking over her shoulder. She lives in a big house in the country with her husband, played by Javier Bardem, far away from anywhere. She is a happy homemaker and he is a poet with writer’s block. One day a stranger, played by Ed Harris, comes knocking on the door and he is but the first of what ultimately turns out to be multitudes by the film’s unhinged final moments as it plays out a home invasion story in wildly twisted ways.

The film is heavily coded and up to the viewers to interpret for themselves, but based on the events of the story and hearing other critics’ analyses, I think I have a good grasp of what Aronofsky may have been communicating. A significant point is that none of the characters appear to have names. Reading the credits, which are all in lower case, only Javier Bardem’s character is capitalized, listed as “Him”, from which I infer he is God, Jennifer Lawrence is Nature, the house is planet Earth, and all the people who keep showing up at the house are the endlessly replicating masses of humanity, starting small and quasi-biblical at first but eventually growing to overwhelming numbers.

The movie is dark, and I mean pitch black. There are some insanely grotesque images paraded through the house in the second half and there is one scene in particular which genuinely shocked me, and for a viewer as jaded and desensitized as me to say that takes a lot. I loved how uncompromising the movie was in its apparent (to me) critique of religion, both of god and of cults, and the mass hysteria and irresponsibility of human beings in large numbers. There is a real feeling of rage and despair coming through the movie which feels like a parable for how we are treating the Earth and the verdict is not good. The ending of the film builds on a subplot which is obscure and subtle but I believe points to the truth of scientific inquiry revealing the operating systems of the universe, only to what end? In this instance it does not look good, that human beings are damned to repeat their mistakes, but there might also be a glimmer of hope that things could be different next time.


Well done, Darren Aranofsky. In my opinion, the film mother! is the most intense, deep, dark and surprising movie of the year. Definitely my kind of film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review - Paris, Texas (1984)

As a preteen I was obsessed with ALIEN and always took note of everyone involved, including the actors. Harry Dean Stanton’s most oft-mentioned film credits were always either ALIEN or Paris, Texas , so when he died last year I made a point of finally hunting down the latter which had been on my radar as long as my obsession with the former. I knew very little about the film, so when the opening credits said “written by Sam Shepard” I immediately became more interested. Then “directed by Wim Wenders” came up on screen and I was even more interested. I was pretty confident I was going to have a very good film experience. I was wrong only in that it exceeded my expectations. Paris, Texas is, in my opinion, beautiful, authentic, heart-felt, compassionate, moving and very mature: a great movie, in other words. The movie opens with Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) walking aimlessly through the deserts of Texas, apparently in some kind of mute daze. A local doctor finds him and a bus...

Film Review - A Quiet Place

John Krasinski directs and stars with his wife Emily Blunt in this exceptional horror movie about a family trying to survive against predatory monsters who hunt by sound. The film is a terrific example of visual storytelling as the dialogue is suppressed to a minimum by the danger it represents to the survivors. It is also one of the most effective and high-tension suspense movies I’ve ever seen, with more intelligence and emotional power than are typical of the genre. The story begins several months after some sort of invasion by ill-defined, poorly understood but immensely superior predators which have effectively wiped out the human race. Those who have managed to survive have had to adapt to a virtually silent mode of living, walking barefoot everywhere, for example, or communicating by sign language. The eldest daughter, played by Millicent Simmonds, is indeed deaf herself, and the film uses its sound design very effectively to convey point of view of characters according to...

Film Review - Tomb Raider

Alicia Vikander is the best and possibly only reason to see this movie. I’m not expecting Shakespeare from a film based on a video game, but I am expecting more action than dialogue. I liked the action sequences alright, but I don’t think there were enough of them, and the stuff between them I felt was kind of boring. Still, I did like seeing Alicia Vikander running and jumping and doing action-stuff, so the movie wasn’t a complete loss. I just wouldn’t recommend it. The film sets out to be an origin story for Lara Croft and a search for her lost father which is bound up in a lame Raiders of the Lost Ark –type race for a powerful magical maguffin. I really don’t mind the predictability of the plot, and there is an argument to be made that these kinds of movies are all about delivering what the audience expects, but I don’t want to put up with long, melodramatic scenes or boring expository speeches. I want to see Lara Croft raiding tombs. Alicia Vikander does a superb job wit...