Skip to main content

I Love Movies

I love movies. I think they have always been my fondest art form. I love watching a narrative being presented visually as it unfolds, but I also appreciate films that work on other levels besides traditional story vehicles. Chiefly, I want to be entertained, but it would also be nice to have some aspect of life I never appreciated before illuminated. I do believe in the power of cinema to express ideas and values that are universal and I think the accessibility of the moving visual image makes it a superior medium for conveying ideas.  

For me, entertainment is the most essential requirement. I want to enjoy the time I spend watching the movie. Illumination is a wonderful bonus, but often too much to hope for and a subtle art besides; nobody wants to be preached to. I love a good mix of the familiar and the bizarre, so I am biased toward science fiction and fantasy films, though I’ll be the first to say most of them fail – I have very particular standards. Nevertheless, I love any film that is fun and can transport me and give me a new look on life, regardless of setting. Most of all, however, I believe very strongly that if you can’t be original, you have to be better than what’s come before. I don’t have the patience for predictable stories unless the way they’re being told has something new or innovative in it.

Movies only exist because lots of talented people work together to present a show and it’s amazing anything intelligible emerges from that process, so for something great to come out is all the more astounding. Major contributing factors such as script, casting, direction, production design, cinematography, editing, sound and music each matter in their own way but they all have to work together and support one another in the presentation of an authentic story. That’s not easy to orchestrate and I am fascinated by the process of making movies, knowing who does what. Most of the time, it seems to me, movies will excel in some departments while failing in others, and the overall effect evens out the film to make it unremarkable despite some of the talent involved. When all of those departments are firing in concert, however, you tend to end up with something at least watchable.

Naturally, I have my prejudices when it comes to movies. I’m very hard to please when it comes to comedy, for instance. I enjoy comedic elements in a story, but all-out comedy is tricky for me. I like stories that explore concepts of morality, justice and de-mystification. I dislike stories where villainy goes unpunished because I get enough of that in real life and I want to escape. I like seeing oppressive monocultures busted by groups defined by diversity, or determined, non-conformist heroes. Ultimately, I love stories of solidarity and support in spite of the egos and deceivers that always seem to divide and conquer communities.


Movies have been a central part of my life for as long as I can remember. I love the medium, the way it involves co-operation among often hundreds of people of diverse opinions and talents to present a story. I think the best movies have simple stories dressed up with lots of symbolism and design so you can read as much (or as little) into them as you want. If a picture is worth a thousand words then you should be able to say almost anything with a movie. All I ask is for something that deserves my undivided attention.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review - Paris, Texas (1984)

As a preteen I was obsessed with ALIEN and always took note of everyone involved, including the actors. Harry Dean Stanton’s most oft-mentioned film credits were always either ALIEN or Paris, Texas , so when he died last year I made a point of finally hunting down the latter which had been on my radar as long as my obsession with the former. I knew very little about the film, so when the opening credits said “written by Sam Shepard” I immediately became more interested. Then “directed by Wim Wenders” came up on screen and I was even more interested. I was pretty confident I was going to have a very good film experience. I was wrong only in that it exceeded my expectations. Paris, Texas is, in my opinion, beautiful, authentic, heart-felt, compassionate, moving and very mature: a great movie, in other words. The movie opens with Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) walking aimlessly through the deserts of Texas, apparently in some kind of mute daze. A local doctor finds him and a bus...

Film Review - A Quiet Place

John Krasinski directs and stars with his wife Emily Blunt in this exceptional horror movie about a family trying to survive against predatory monsters who hunt by sound. The film is a terrific example of visual storytelling as the dialogue is suppressed to a minimum by the danger it represents to the survivors. It is also one of the most effective and high-tension suspense movies I’ve ever seen, with more intelligence and emotional power than are typical of the genre. The story begins several months after some sort of invasion by ill-defined, poorly understood but immensely superior predators which have effectively wiped out the human race. Those who have managed to survive have had to adapt to a virtually silent mode of living, walking barefoot everywhere, for example, or communicating by sign language. The eldest daughter, played by Millicent Simmonds, is indeed deaf herself, and the film uses its sound design very effectively to convey point of view of characters according to...

Film Review - Tomb Raider

Alicia Vikander is the best and possibly only reason to see this movie. I’m not expecting Shakespeare from a film based on a video game, but I am expecting more action than dialogue. I liked the action sequences alright, but I don’t think there were enough of them, and the stuff between them I felt was kind of boring. Still, I did like seeing Alicia Vikander running and jumping and doing action-stuff, so the movie wasn’t a complete loss. I just wouldn’t recommend it. The film sets out to be an origin story for Lara Croft and a search for her lost father which is bound up in a lame Raiders of the Lost Ark –type race for a powerful magical maguffin. I really don’t mind the predictability of the plot, and there is an argument to be made that these kinds of movies are all about delivering what the audience expects, but I don’t want to put up with long, melodramatic scenes or boring expository speeches. I want to see Lara Croft raiding tombs. Alicia Vikander does a superb job wit...