Skip to main content

Gremlins for Christmas

In trying to figure out my favourite Christmas movie, I find myself stuck. I’m not really a big fan of the traditional yuletide films like A Christmas Carol or It’s a Wonderful Life, though I do love A Christmas Story. I guess that would be my favourite Christmas movie, in the strictest sense. However, I do have another in mind….

Part of the problem, of course, is deciding what counts as a Christmas movie. Just because the story is set during the season does not make it valid. I appreciate the ironic sentiment behind calling Die Hard a Christmas movie, but it’s a tad violent for the label, in my opinion. Also, does simply having a seasonal setting make Batman Returns eligible?

So it is with some sense of humour that I nominate Gremlins as my favourite Christmas movie. It’s seasonal, it involves family and gift-giving, there are some life lessons (Phoebe Cates’ character has a particularly dark backstory) and it is packed to the rafters with Christmas music and songs. Superficially, at least, it seems like a Christmas movie, though in fairness it was released in the summer of 1984.

Perhaps the real reason I respond to it is that it feels like a subversive, almost anti-Christmas story, or a photo-negative of a traditional tale. Cates' history of childhood tragedy debunks Santa Claus and the town is overrun by chaotic anti-elves who make mischief instead of toys. They are dispatched when a movie theater explodes (there’s something ironic about a movie featuring the destruction of a movie theater as a plot resolution), while the climactic confrontation takes place fittingly in the one place everyone is all too familiar with at Christmas time: a department store.


True, the film is rather dated in several ways, but the practical puppet effects are still impressive. There is a high splatter quotient which makes it probably inappropriate for young kids’ family viewing, but I don’t have a family, so I’ll be selfish and say Gremlins is my favourite Christmas movie (after A Christmas Story).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review - Paris, Texas (1984)

As a preteen I was obsessed with ALIEN and always took note of everyone involved, including the actors. Harry Dean Stanton’s most oft-mentioned film credits were always either ALIEN or Paris, Texas , so when he died last year I made a point of finally hunting down the latter which had been on my radar as long as my obsession with the former. I knew very little about the film, so when the opening credits said “written by Sam Shepard” I immediately became more interested. Then “directed by Wim Wenders” came up on screen and I was even more interested. I was pretty confident I was going to have a very good film experience. I was wrong only in that it exceeded my expectations. Paris, Texas is, in my opinion, beautiful, authentic, heart-felt, compassionate, moving and very mature: a great movie, in other words. The movie opens with Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) walking aimlessly through the deserts of Texas, apparently in some kind of mute daze. A local doctor finds him and a bus...

Film Review - A Quiet Place

John Krasinski directs and stars with his wife Emily Blunt in this exceptional horror movie about a family trying to survive against predatory monsters who hunt by sound. The film is a terrific example of visual storytelling as the dialogue is suppressed to a minimum by the danger it represents to the survivors. It is also one of the most effective and high-tension suspense movies I’ve ever seen, with more intelligence and emotional power than are typical of the genre. The story begins several months after some sort of invasion by ill-defined, poorly understood but immensely superior predators which have effectively wiped out the human race. Those who have managed to survive have had to adapt to a virtually silent mode of living, walking barefoot everywhere, for example, or communicating by sign language. The eldest daughter, played by Millicent Simmonds, is indeed deaf herself, and the film uses its sound design very effectively to convey point of view of characters according to...

Film Review - Tomb Raider

Alicia Vikander is the best and possibly only reason to see this movie. I’m not expecting Shakespeare from a film based on a video game, but I am expecting more action than dialogue. I liked the action sequences alright, but I don’t think there were enough of them, and the stuff between them I felt was kind of boring. Still, I did like seeing Alicia Vikander running and jumping and doing action-stuff, so the movie wasn’t a complete loss. I just wouldn’t recommend it. The film sets out to be an origin story for Lara Croft and a search for her lost father which is bound up in a lame Raiders of the Lost Ark –type race for a powerful magical maguffin. I really don’t mind the predictability of the plot, and there is an argument to be made that these kinds of movies are all about delivering what the audience expects, but I don’t want to put up with long, melodramatic scenes or boring expository speeches. I want to see Lara Croft raiding tombs. Alicia Vikander does a superb job wit...