Skip to main content

Gremlins for Christmas

In trying to figure out my favourite Christmas movie, I find myself stuck. I’m not really a big fan of the traditional yuletide films like A Christmas Carol or It’s a Wonderful Life, though I do love A Christmas Story. I guess that would be my favourite Christmas movie, in the strictest sense. However, I do have another in mind….

Part of the problem, of course, is deciding what counts as a Christmas movie. Just because the story is set during the season does not make it valid. I appreciate the ironic sentiment behind calling Die Hard a Christmas movie, but it’s a tad violent for the label, in my opinion. Also, does simply having a seasonal setting make Batman Returns eligible?

So it is with some sense of humour that I nominate Gremlins as my favourite Christmas movie. It’s seasonal, it involves family and gift-giving, there are some life lessons (Phoebe Cates’ character has a particularly dark backstory) and it is packed to the rafters with Christmas music and songs. Superficially, at least, it seems like a Christmas movie, though in fairness it was released in the summer of 1984.

Perhaps the real reason I respond to it is that it feels like a subversive, almost anti-Christmas story, or a photo-negative of a traditional tale. Cates' history of childhood tragedy debunks Santa Claus and the town is overrun by chaotic anti-elves who make mischief instead of toys. They are dispatched when a movie theater explodes (there’s something ironic about a movie featuring the destruction of a movie theater as a plot resolution), while the climactic confrontation takes place fittingly in the one place everyone is all too familiar with at Christmas time: a department store.


True, the film is rather dated in several ways, but the practical puppet effects are still impressive. There is a high splatter quotient which makes it probably inappropriate for young kids’ family viewing, but I don’t have a family, so I’ll be selfish and say Gremlins is my favourite Christmas movie (after A Christmas Story).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review - Annihilation

Alex Garland, writer/director of Ex Machina , delivers another mature sci-fi film, this time about a platoon of scientist-soldiers sent in to investigate an area surrounding some kind of meteorite that is impenetrable to all scans and observations. Natalie Portman leads the all-female cast on a journey into surreal landscapes as they search for whatever lies at the heart of this zone called “the shimmer” and things take weirder and darker turns as the film progresses. I found a lot to like in the writing and the visual design of the film and I would have to say it’s good, but not great. First of all, I really do love the esthetics of the movie, very colourful and pretty but also very creepy and unsettling sometimes. The film has a nicely strange tone, approximating the constant disorientation the characters are subject to while inside the shimmer, with everything taking on a quasi-hallucinogenic prismatic aura. There is a lot of gory violence but I thought it appropriate to the s...

Film Review - Tully

Writer Diablo Cody and director Jason Reitman team up once again for what amounts to a really great and unusual depiction of motherhood and how it can consume one’s identity. I found it to be honest, direct and heartfelt while also deftly avoiding cliché. It’s not a perfect film, but its flaws are tiny compared to its achievements and I would definitely see it again. Charlize Theron plays Marlo, an exhausted mother of three who is losing her mind trying to keep up with a newborn baby and a son labelled “quirky” by school staff, while her eldest daughter seems to be fairly capable of looking after herself (nice, given the challenges of the other two, but not entirely true). Her husband, Drew (Ron Livingston), struggles to make his career work and spends a lot of time on the road. Seeing her stressed out all the time, Marlo’s brother Craig (the always fun Mark Duplass) hires a “night nanny” for her so she can at least get a good night’s sleep while someone else monitors the kids. M...

Film Review - A Quiet Place

John Krasinski directs and stars with his wife Emily Blunt in this exceptional horror movie about a family trying to survive against predatory monsters who hunt by sound. The film is a terrific example of visual storytelling as the dialogue is suppressed to a minimum by the danger it represents to the survivors. It is also one of the most effective and high-tension suspense movies I’ve ever seen, with more intelligence and emotional power than are typical of the genre. The story begins several months after some sort of invasion by ill-defined, poorly understood but immensely superior predators which have effectively wiped out the human race. Those who have managed to survive have had to adapt to a virtually silent mode of living, walking barefoot everywhere, for example, or communicating by sign language. The eldest daughter, played by Millicent Simmonds, is indeed deaf herself, and the film uses its sound design very effectively to convey point of view of characters according to...