Skip to main content

Review - Black Mirror

Season four of Black Mirror is out now and I just watched all six episodes on Netflix. I’ve been a fan of the show since I discovered it and it’s still going strong, in my opinion. I love it for its intelligence, its authenticity and its unpredictability – you really don’t know how each episode will end until the final scene. If you like smart storytelling with a dark edge, you’d have a hard time finding better than Black Mirror.

It’s an anthology series like The Twilight Zone wherein each episode is completely isolated from any others so that you don’t need to watch them in order or even watch them all. That appeals to my short attention span. It’s got a variety of styles suitable to whatever the story of the episode is, but the general theme is science-fiction and the examination of where our technology might lead us.

It’s also incredibly dark, but I like that because when the show has the odd happy ending it feels a lot more earned and special than a typical show where it’s all but guaranteed. The show is also pretty subtle, giving you most of the contextual information visually rather than having characters spout expository dialogue and so there is a risk of losing the thread of the plot if you’re not watching closely. Personally, I hate being spoon-fed a story and much prefer being rewarded for paying attention.

My favourite episodes have tended to have more pleasant endings, of course, because I am at heart a sentimental romantic who likes it when things to turn out well, just as long as it’s earned and not presumed. I think the “San Junipero” episode is still the series highlight as it moved me to tears, but I also love the intensely dark “White Bear” and “White Christmas” (the latter starring John Hamm). Of the new season, “USS Callister” stands out for me because of my background in Star Trek fandom, but “Hang the DJ” takes the cake for approaching the heights of “San Junipero”.


Black Mirror is probably my favourite series currently in production. I love the anthology format for its variety of stories and its bite-sized scale, plus the series is highly unpredictable and just incredibly well written and realized by everyone involved. There are no weak episodes and quite a few that are really exceptional storytelling; poignant, disturbing, moving. If you like science-fiction or even just twisted stories, do yourself a favour and check out Black Mirror.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review - Paris, Texas (1984)

As a preteen I was obsessed with ALIEN and always took note of everyone involved, including the actors. Harry Dean Stanton’s most oft-mentioned film credits were always either ALIEN or Paris, Texas , so when he died last year I made a point of finally hunting down the latter which had been on my radar as long as my obsession with the former. I knew very little about the film, so when the opening credits said “written by Sam Shepard” I immediately became more interested. Then “directed by Wim Wenders” came up on screen and I was even more interested. I was pretty confident I was going to have a very good film experience. I was wrong only in that it exceeded my expectations. Paris, Texas is, in my opinion, beautiful, authentic, heart-felt, compassionate, moving and very mature: a great movie, in other words. The movie opens with Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) walking aimlessly through the deserts of Texas, apparently in some kind of mute daze. A local doctor finds him and a bus...

Film Review - A Quiet Place

John Krasinski directs and stars with his wife Emily Blunt in this exceptional horror movie about a family trying to survive against predatory monsters who hunt by sound. The film is a terrific example of visual storytelling as the dialogue is suppressed to a minimum by the danger it represents to the survivors. It is also one of the most effective and high-tension suspense movies I’ve ever seen, with more intelligence and emotional power than are typical of the genre. The story begins several months after some sort of invasion by ill-defined, poorly understood but immensely superior predators which have effectively wiped out the human race. Those who have managed to survive have had to adapt to a virtually silent mode of living, walking barefoot everywhere, for example, or communicating by sign language. The eldest daughter, played by Millicent Simmonds, is indeed deaf herself, and the film uses its sound design very effectively to convey point of view of characters according to...

Film Review - Tomb Raider

Alicia Vikander is the best and possibly only reason to see this movie. I’m not expecting Shakespeare from a film based on a video game, but I am expecting more action than dialogue. I liked the action sequences alright, but I don’t think there were enough of them, and the stuff between them I felt was kind of boring. Still, I did like seeing Alicia Vikander running and jumping and doing action-stuff, so the movie wasn’t a complete loss. I just wouldn’t recommend it. The film sets out to be an origin story for Lara Croft and a search for her lost father which is bound up in a lame Raiders of the Lost Ark –type race for a powerful magical maguffin. I really don’t mind the predictability of the plot, and there is an argument to be made that these kinds of movies are all about delivering what the audience expects, but I don’t want to put up with long, melodramatic scenes or boring expository speeches. I want to see Lara Croft raiding tombs. Alicia Vikander does a superb job wit...