Skip to main content

Film Review - Tomb Raider


Alicia Vikander is the best and possibly only reason to see this movie. I’m not expecting Shakespeare from a film based on a video game, but I am expecting more action than dialogue. I liked the action sequences alright, but I don’t think there were enough of them, and the stuff between them I felt was kind of boring. Still, I did like seeing Alicia Vikander running and jumping and doing action-stuff, so the movie wasn’t a complete loss. I just wouldn’t recommend it.

The film sets out to be an origin story for Lara Croft and a search for her lost father which is bound up in a lame Raiders of the Lost Ark –type race for a powerful magical maguffin. I really don’t mind the predictability of the plot, and there is an argument to be made that these kinds of movies are all about delivering what the audience expects, but I don’t want to put up with long, melodramatic scenes or boring expository speeches. I want to see Lara Croft raiding tombs.

Alicia Vikander does a superb job with what is a pretty poor script and she has a terrific physicality which made the action scenes work despite how run-of-the-mill the staging often was. I didn’t much care for the backstory the film invented for her, either, but I would love to see Vikander play Lara Croft in a better movie that’s all about the adventure. Walton Goggins is fun to watch as villain Mathias Vogel, but that’s because Walton Goggins is fun to watch. Daniel Wu is also really good as Lara’s colleague Lu Ren, again because of a charm that outshines the lame writing.

There is one sequence that did stand out for me, and that is when Lara kills for the first time. I thought it was interesting for an otherwise typical action movie to take a moment and recognize that murder, even of a nameless henchman, is a big deal, and Alicia Vikander plays it really well. Unfortunately, the movie reverts fairly soon after to the usual level of casual murder that action movies are full of, and not all that remarkably staged, either. The scene from the trailer where Lara has to escape a crumbling airplane wreck perched precariously on a waterfall is the highlight of the film.

All-in-all, I didn’t hate the film but I didn’t really like it either. It was boring but highlighted by unexpectedly good performances doing the best they could with a leaden script. I’d say it’s about as good as the Angelina Jolie Lara Croft movies from 15 years ago, which is to say not very.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review - Annihilation

Alex Garland, writer/director of Ex Machina , delivers another mature sci-fi film, this time about a platoon of scientist-soldiers sent in to investigate an area surrounding some kind of meteorite that is impenetrable to all scans and observations. Natalie Portman leads the all-female cast on a journey into surreal landscapes as they search for whatever lies at the heart of this zone called “the shimmer” and things take weirder and darker turns as the film progresses. I found a lot to like in the writing and the visual design of the film and I would have to say it’s good, but not great. First of all, I really do love the esthetics of the movie, very colourful and pretty but also very creepy and unsettling sometimes. The film has a nicely strange tone, approximating the constant disorientation the characters are subject to while inside the shimmer, with everything taking on a quasi-hallucinogenic prismatic aura. There is a lot of gory violence but I thought it appropriate to the s...

Film Review - Tully

Writer Diablo Cody and director Jason Reitman team up once again for what amounts to a really great and unusual depiction of motherhood and how it can consume one’s identity. I found it to be honest, direct and heartfelt while also deftly avoiding cliché. It’s not a perfect film, but its flaws are tiny compared to its achievements and I would definitely see it again. Charlize Theron plays Marlo, an exhausted mother of three who is losing her mind trying to keep up with a newborn baby and a son labelled “quirky” by school staff, while her eldest daughter seems to be fairly capable of looking after herself (nice, given the challenges of the other two, but not entirely true). Her husband, Drew (Ron Livingston), struggles to make his career work and spends a lot of time on the road. Seeing her stressed out all the time, Marlo’s brother Craig (the always fun Mark Duplass) hires a “night nanny” for her so she can at least get a good night’s sleep while someone else monitors the kids. M...

Film Review - A Quiet Place

John Krasinski directs and stars with his wife Emily Blunt in this exceptional horror movie about a family trying to survive against predatory monsters who hunt by sound. The film is a terrific example of visual storytelling as the dialogue is suppressed to a minimum by the danger it represents to the survivors. It is also one of the most effective and high-tension suspense movies I’ve ever seen, with more intelligence and emotional power than are typical of the genre. The story begins several months after some sort of invasion by ill-defined, poorly understood but immensely superior predators which have effectively wiped out the human race. Those who have managed to survive have had to adapt to a virtually silent mode of living, walking barefoot everywhere, for example, or communicating by sign language. The eldest daughter, played by Millicent Simmonds, is indeed deaf herself, and the film uses its sound design very effectively to convey point of view of characters according to...